One of the hottest real estate trends in today’s market is green building, as home builders respond to an increasing demand for energy efficient and environmentally friendlier homes.
The focus is generally on energy conservation, the use of environmentally preferable products and materials, and making indoor environments healthier.
Green building offers many benefits. It can lower home energy bills; improve indoor air quality and comfort; reduce construction material costs; lower ongoing maintenance and operational costs; and reduce water usage.
Recent studies have shown that green homes are not significantly more expensive to build.
An environmentally friendly home will probably have:
1. Effective insulation – to ensure even temperatures throughout the home
2. Energy efficient windows – to help keep heat in during winter and out during summer and to protect furniture and flooring from the discoloring effects of the sun
3. Tight construction and ducts – to reduce drafts, moisture, dust, pollen, and noise and to improve indoor comfort and air quality
4. Efficient heating and cooling systems – to improve home comfort and use less energy
5. Efficient products – such as light fixtures and appliances with an energy-efficiency designation.